Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] SOPA Blackout Vote

From: Patrick van Kleef <pkleef@openlinksw.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 00:17:08 +0100
Cc: public-lod@w3.org, "dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net" <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
All,

>> The voting seems to be in favor of the blackout (40 / 7 / 5).
>> What exactly do you intend to do in case the international
>> DBPedia's want to follow :)
>>
>> If it is a simple action (i.e. http_lock() ) we could easily
>> implement it.
>> But in our case it would be just symbolic...
>> I am not sure if anyone will notice the DBPedia Greece going down :)
>
> Someone from OpenLink will drop a note about the plan of action in
> the coming hours. Goal is to hold a sensible middle line without
> major adverse effects on the LOD cloud etc..
>
> Count now stands at : 45/7/6  :-)

Attached is the page OpenLink is considering to use on the sites it
controls including:

* http://dbpedia.org
* http://dbpedia-live.openlinksw.com
* http://lod.openlinksw.com
* http://pingthesemanticweb.com
* http://uriburner.com

to show its support of sites like Wikipedia, Reddit and many others
that take a stand against this type of overly broad legislation.

OpenLink will start the blackout around 08:00 EST (15:00 UTC) on 18
January for a period of no longer than 12 hours.

To use this page on your own virtuoso instance, the virtuoso.ini file
should contain the following line:

	[HTTPServer]
	MaintenancePage = atomic.html

This page can than be moved temporary over virtuoso/vsp/atomic.html
which will allow the dba to use the http_lock('dba password') function
to lock the whole site and to return a HTTP 503 status and the text of
this page for every request send during this period.

At the end of the black-out, the http_unlock('dba password') can be
used to resume normal operations, and the previous content of the
virtuoso/vsp/atomic.html can be restored.

Patrick
--
OpenLink Software