Re: SOPA, Wikipedia, and dbpedia

From: Mischa Tuffield <mischa@mmt.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:53:07 +0000
Cc: thomas lörtsch <thomas@stray.net>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>

On 17 Jan 2012, at 13:40, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 17 janv. 2012 ā 07:37, thomas lörtsch a écrit :
>> But I would argue in favor of shutting down dbpedia alongside wikipedia. Of course it causes a little pain to researchers and administrators
>

> * The goal of shutting down?

Personally, I think it would be a show of support for English Wikipedia's blackout tomorrow, and that it all. Given that dbpedia exists because of wikipedia, I think it would be nice to show and honour the wikipedians' desire to blackout in protest.

> * The message left in place of shutting down?

Something similar to above, with a link to the wikimediafoundation article

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark

> * reaching the right community that would need to be educated about SOPA?

A bunch of grad students, researcher, and/or academics might notice, but agreed, it wont even have a fraction of the same impact as shutting down en.wikipedia...

Mischa

> Depending on the answers to these questions, you might or not shut down.
>

> --
> Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
> Developer Relations, Opera Software

Mischa Tuffield PhD