Re: status and problems on sematicweb.org

This is indeed an important issue for the community.

One community service that W3C has provided in the past has been to
take over the service of a domain, like daml.org, which hosts
ontologies which may be used by all kinds of people, but whose
development has stopped.

Also, we have come to agreements with some domain hosts which
have sem web ontologies that if they wrap up the project or the organization
we will take over the domain in the future.

W3C itself has a persistence policy which commits that we will do the same
with another public interest hosting organization should we ever
wrap up W3C.

I could ask folks whether we could do this for *.semanticweb.org domains
which are no longer being modified.

Tim

On 2012-01 -13, at 04:04, Michael Hausenblas wrote:

>> This is only weakly related to this wiki site discussion but should be easy to solve anyway. Short answers:
>>
>> * Subdomains of semanticweb.org are managed independently and (mainly) on different servers run by different people. The responsibility is with the people who asked for the subdomain. Stefan Decker is managing the domain registration and should know who is responsible in cases where it is not clear from the web page.
>

> Exactly.
>

>> * Content of earlier versions of semanticweb.org has not been migrated in the last relaunch of the site a few years ago. As long as it is just static HTML content that does not conflict with new content (i.e., if there is nothing else under that URL now), it would be possible to put it back into its place. To do this, please send me an email with the archived HTML content and let me know where to put it. I do not have access to any old versions of the site, so I cannot help in finding the old content.

How did that happen?