Re: Intranet ontology?

Alex,

A thought just occurred to me that might explain why there aren't any
"intranet" ontologies.

When people write ontologies they are focussed on describing the types,
attributes and relationships of things. Types — person, company, city,
document, site, role, router, cable and so on. Attributes — name, date of
birth. Relationships — created by, owned by, part of, born in. (Of course,
type is just an attribute too.)

The intranet is just where the data happens to be right now.

We have done many consulting engagements helping teams work through their
modelling and, often, they find that as they explore their data they find
that some is internal only (intranet), some wants to be shared with
partners (extranet) and some could valuably be published publicly
(internet).

Modelling using the existing, more and more widely accepted, ontologies
such as dublin core gives you the freedom to describe entities consistently
across that spectrum of sharing.

hope that helps

rob