Re: Well Behaved RDF - Taming Blank Nodes, etc.

[…]

 >> This way, one may easily end up with hundreds of URI's, each naming
 >> one and the only person which was unfortunate enough to sit next to
 >> our Lee.

 >> … And don't forget about all the owl:sameAs arcs necessary to manage
 >> this crowd!

 > OK, sure.  Why is having hundreds of URIs for this person any worse
 > than having hundreds of distinct blank nodes?

 First of all, I'd assume that a typical RDF store implementation
 will assign temporary identifiers (most likely integers) to
 /all/ the nodes — both blank and named.  This way, one could
 conserve space by /not/ storing permanent identifiers (URI's) in
 addition to the temporary ones.

 But perhaps even more compelling reason to use blank nodes is
 that instead of introducing owl:sameAs arcs, one may just
 replace two (or more) distinct blank nodes, — found to be
 representing the same entity, — with a sole node possessing the
 union of the properties of such blank nodes.  (Provided we check
 for, and resolve, any semantic conflicts there are, that is.)

--
FSF associate member #7257