Re: Well Behaved RDF - Taming Blank Nodes, etc.

On 13/12/12 20:14, Ivan Herman wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2012, at 12:42 , David Booth wrote:
> [snip]
>>

>>> The restriction of "no labels" is not just about "no cycles" - it's
>>> things that are not tree-like:
>>>
>>> :x1 :p _:a .
>>> :x2 :q _:a .
>>
>> Yes, excellent example.  I explained to Pat in
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2012Dec/0040.html
>> why I chose the "no labels" restriction instead, but I'm open to
>> considering either.
>>

> I think it would still be better to explain these things in a syntax independent way. After all, I may want to use JSON-LD or RDFa...
>
> Distilling the various mails and concentrating on bnodes only, what seems to be the pattern is
>
> - bnodes can appear in at most one triple as an object
> - there can be no cycle in the graphs involving bnodes
>
> Would that suffice as a more formal definition?

Yes, I think so.

What about:

_:a p 1 .
_:a q 2 .

which is

[ p 1 ] q 2  .
or
[ p 1 ; q 2 ] .
or
[ q 2 ] p 1 .

i.e. several forms.

If the idea of a Turtle subset is using simple tools, you need to be
canonical, to some extent.

A possibility is that for "well formed RDF" bNodes are only for
"compound values" like:

:x :p [ :units :kilograms ; rdfs:value 123 ] .

and ban use of [] from the subject position (because literals can't be
subjects ... sorry David)

	Andy