Re: natural language visual interface for SPARQL

Adasal (ok, Adam)

glad you  can read between the lines:-)

> When you move into the area of search you are talking big >business interests and this really high lights the whole problem >that confronts the public data semantic community.

on the bigger scale, its the control over information in general that
is political and manipulative

 the web and search engines that allow to use the web
are inherently disruptive.

resistance to change is a constant all along :-)

> The problem two fold, privacy of data/data ownership and business model.

well, a search service simply pulls up data that has been published to
the web with the intent of making it findable,

business model for the search service is a tad more challenging, but
there lots of options, advertising being the most obvious

> Buying a washing machine is very different to thinking generally about global warming.

at some level its not. (if I understand what you say) when buying a
washing machine nowadays, in addition to the usual price/performace
considerations, the responsible consumer also thinks global warming

> The internet at the moment seems to be more skewed to immediate consumption than providing the ground for informed debate

This is because the modern information/media machinery has developed
as an instrument of the  consumeristic machinery, and nothing escapes
the market /profit logic, not even culture, nor education , nor the
research industry (the public funding of research should be intended
for the public good, instead the strings of the public reserach funds
are controlled by individuals and organisations designed to serve the
interests of a speculative technocratic machine which profits from
disinformation. its that simple.

The internet is either going to play along with the market game,
as dicta or face serious bad weather - which is a bit what has
happened in recent years -

> Meanwhile social media is glammed up and fed by information gathered from  individuals that goes to creating that environment through the filter of the provision of an income stream for the service provider. This inhibits a certain type of innovation.

well, it doesn't have to . if the 'critical mass' coalesces, enough
people upholding sustainability principles and rejecting profiteering
logic of the research industry, perhaps alternatives can emerge.

humanity evolves  through higher levels of knowledge (consciousness
for those who are not afraid of the word )

neanderthat>>> sapiens>>>?

> Contemplating alternatives is difficult.

life is difficult-

>> But a more negative reflection of the true state of the world would
> be dangerous (cause unrest) so those highly trained editors would never allow it.

ah, you have come across that issue of media ownership/information
control/information policy/manipulation of public resources too

> Thinking about the content reflected in search results I think that the  internet does allow this debate in the form of mailing list type forum -

yes-  the open web and search engines, with all their limitations, are
fantastic as they are imho , and we spend far too much time plastered
to it

let make the most of it.?
:-)

cheers

PDM

 it is just that I may not have explored as much as I might - so the question