Re: Wikidata export in RDF

2012/8/6 Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>:
> On 2012-08-06, at 13:35, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
>> It could become even more jarring, as we actually will probably not
>> use q:Method in the export but rather a numeric ID like q:P17234.
>> On the other hand, we plan to have q-en:Method owl:equivalentProperty
>> q:P17234 and q-de:Methode owl:equivalentProperty q:P17234 etc. as
>> convenience URIs.
>
> Ouch. I know you said you didn't want to have this discussion (sorry!), but please bear in mind people building SPARQL queries using a UI - they will have serious predicate URI bloat, and no easy way to pick the "right" URI.
>
> I think this would run contra to good URI practice - deliberately creating lots of very similar URIs for the same thing is not ideal. URIs are supposed to be opaque anyway.
>
> I think something like q:method rdfs:label "Method"@en, "Methode"@fr, "Methode"@de, "方法"@zh, … is more common, and more user friendly - even if you have to use q:p17234 instead of q:method.

I agree, and I have not made myself understandable, sorry: we would
only export and use q:P17234, but if someone resolves against
q-en:Method they would get back a q-en:Method owl:equivalentProperty
q:P17234, so that they can use this as a convenience URI. In order to
avoid bloat this would not be part of the export of the RDF of an
instance, merely on directly requesting q-en:Method. Otherwise this
URI would be completely invisible.

Or, in short: yes, we will only use q:P17234.

I hope that was more clear,
Cheers,
Denny

--
Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das