Re: Proposing two new SWIG Task forces

+Cc: Jeni

On 21 September 2011 06:23, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> Bob,
>
> sorry for the late reply, I am on a trip...
>
> This is of course a valid question that was also discussed. However, the SWIG has been running for a long time now and was extremely successful in creating and maintaining a useful community role. In this sense it is fairly unique among all W3C groups. So we thought it would be helpful and more efficient to leverage that established background in this particular instance.
>
> As for the progress: this depends on the persons involved. Not all CG-s are equally active...

Yes - what really matters is that people come together and
collaborate, rather than the specific kind of group we use. There is
currently a small but potentially useful difference between Community
Groups and Interest Groups which is relevant here; the SWIG charter
(http://www.w3.org/2006/07/swig-charter.html) allows the possibility
that we can use W3C's teleconference facilities:

"The Semantic Web Interest Group exists primarily as an online forum;
it does not typically conduct weekly phone conferences. The Interest
Group may also conduct virtual meetings using email, IRC, wiki and
teleconference facilities, although the large scale, International
nature of the group motivates a focus on low cost, asynchronous
mechanisms such as email. The Interest Group may on occasion meet or
sponsor "Birds-Of-a-Feather" sessions at conferences, W3C Technical
Plenaries or alongside other W3C meetings, at the discretion of the
Chair and W3C staff contact."

In the context of these two groups, it might be useful to have the
possibility of teleconferences. I don't know what might be possible in
the future for Community Groups (and btw I consider these groups a
*huge* step forward for W3C) but for now, they are mail/wiki-based.

cheers,

Dan