Re: What are the repetitive bits you do?

Hi,

as part of the Finndesign Liitin's personal User Interface, helping on and
reducing repetitive tasks is seen very important. For example, how do you
find the following features?

- Linux shell commands or scripts can be embedded into a Scheme function
  e.g.  (system/output "ls ~/") and can be saved as a Liitin object for
persistency, sharing, higher abstraction, ease of mofification, etc.

- You could run these scripts from command line, or to make them more
accessible for the most of us, you could create simple GUI dialogs (also
Liitin objects).

- The environment is unified, so there's no need to describe and setup a
working environment. All that is needed, is the name of the Liitin object,
e.g. namespace:script-x or namespace:script-x-dialog.

- In addition to Liitin object storage, each account gets also a
pre-installed, global (OpenAFS) home directory to deal with conventional
files and folders. You can also access external servers using SSH. So, the
migration to native Liitin world is made a bit easier or you can use them
in parallel. For example, you could use Liitin functions to manipulate
conventional files or create mass-import tools.

- You could create "droplet folders", i.e. folders to be polled for new
content. If new content is found, it will be automatically processed as
designed. Different folders can do different things. E.g. a file format
conversion could be handled simply by placing files to a droplet folder.

I believe that there aren't many who are capable of making new scripts and
GUI apps, so it is very important to make sharing them as simple as
possible and have them available and functional even after years. Also,
all Liitin objects' source code is accessible by a single command/ GUI
look-up and tweaking new variants is always easier than creating things
from scratch.

Do these seem sensible and practical features, or is there anything you
would like to change/ add/ remove?

br, jukka

http://liitin.finndesign.fi