Re: relational data as a bona fide member of the SM

On 2011-11-10, Mariano Rodriguez wrote:

> A comment on the side, having a Unary/Binary/Ternary view of the data
> can be seen only as that, a view. Today it is possible to have a n-ary
> logical storage of the data, together with the more abstract
> representation.

The relational model envisioned that from the start. In many and more
exotic forms than we now have under RDBMSs of today. Originally the idea
seems to have been that Codasyl-like navigational databases would be
subsued under the relational model, as the physical level. When need be.
Then the relational model would just be the logical level interface to
even them.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2