Re: complexity of sroiq

On 20/11/11 20:54, Cristiano Longo wrote:
> Hi, I had a look to the Horrocks' paper about SROIQ. However, I need
> information about the computational complexity of the knowledge base
> consistency in this language.

All standard inference tasks for SROIQ are N2ExpTime-complete, where the
second exponential blow-up is due to the RBox (property chains) and thus
tends to be small in practice (since complex property chains are rare in
today's ontologies). Inclusion follows already from the paper you
mention. The hardness result is due to Kazakov [1].

Cheers,

Markus

[1] Yevgeny Kazakov: RIQ and SROIQ Are Harder than SHOIQ. KR 2008

--
Dr. Markus Krötzsch
Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford