Re: URI Syntax

     Hello,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:
> This section of the URI specification should also help when deciding if
> the URI is absolute, relative, or abbreviated:
>
> "a URI reference
>   (Section 4.1) may be a relative-path reference, in which case the
>   first path segment cannot contain a colon (":") character."
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.3

  I'm not sure I understand this. Does this mean I need to check five
rules to find out which is the first path segment, and then I check
whether that first path segment has a colon? And if it has a colon,
then it is not relative? What if it does not have a colon?

  Is there no simpler way?

  Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org)