Re: relational data as a bona fide member of the SM

I have been asking this sort of questions for a while and the only decent
answer I know is that
Description Logics only work with unary and binary predicates (classes and
properties),
although I believe RDF was initially developed independently from the DL
and OWL work.

RIF and RuleML seem to be going in the relational direction (see also the
earlier work
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.48.7623&rep=rep1&type=pdfby
Harold Boley), but it is difficult to break the monopoly
of RDF+OWL.

A related thing I hate about RDF (as a practitioner) is the poor data
model. In particular, the open world assumption does not allow to fully and
unambiguously describe some objects. Pragmatically, it would be nice to
have something like the ML data model.

--
Alexandre Riazanov (Alexander Ryazanov), PhD