Re: Publications about OWL (1 or 2) Full

Thanks for a thorough reply.  See comments inline.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Markus Krötzsch <
markus.kroetzsch@comlab.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 18/05/11 19:49, Michael F Uschold wrote:
>
>> These are good questions. You are right, the current attitude and
>> practice is avoid OWL Full at all costs.  Unfortunately, this ignores
>> the costs of NOT using OWL Full -- basically it means having to do a lot
>> of painful workarounds that make the ontology harder to understand which
>> undermines one of the key goals of ontology: to make meaning clear!
>>
>> If you want to be able to have meta classes, and use classes as values
>> for properties and other OWL Full goodies, you have to use a more
>> powerful reasoner. Any FOL prover would do, I should think, but I am no
>> expert.
>>

> Fortunately, OWL 2 now allows a useful form of simple meta-modelling now,
> so that you can indeed have meta classes and use classes as subjects and
> objects of properties.

The logical inferences that OWL 2 DL tools draw from this are limited, but
> may still be more than what any particular OWL 2 Full reasoner would give
> you (depends on the OWL 2 Full reasoner you have -- I am not aware of much
> implementation work there beyond OWL 2 RL).

Hmm, I know there is some limited punning, but these are two different
things, not one thing appearing in two different places. The inference is
very limited.

I don't think there is a way to nicely handle the species example where
Species is a class with instance Eagle with instances being individual
eagles.

I also do not think there is a robust solution to the classes as values
problem.

> An insightful discussion of meta modelling semantics -- the one of OWL 2 DL
> (punning) and a stronger one -- is found in the paper:
>
> Boris Motik. On the Properties of Metamodeling in OWL. Journal of Logic and
> Computation, 17(4):617–637, 2007.

Thanks, I just had a look. It is intersting, and geared more for the
theorist than the practitioner.  Do you know of a more practice-focused
paper that gives examples of what you can and cannot do with OWL2
metamodelling, compared to OWL-Full?

> A big advantage of OWL 2 DL in this respect is that it makes it legal to
> state such meta-knowledge without violating any constraints of the language.
> The OWL Full semantics may still formally lead to more consequences, but in
> practice what matters is how many of the total consequence any tool will
> actually give. So the DL approach could be a good compromise (especially to
> "make meaning clear" beyond purely logical/formal aspects).

I'm not sure what you mean by "make meaning clear" as a good DL compromise.
 The example from that paper is the need to represent Eagle as an instance
of Species so you can e.g. say it is on the engangered list.  DL forces you
to represent Eagle as an as an individual that can not ever have any
instances. But this is patently untrue -- to that extent, it obfusticates
meaning.  If OWL2 metamodellign lets me do this, I'll be surprised and
delighted.