Re: URI itself is a resource?

On 05/05/2011 06:44 PM, Jitao Yang wrote:
> Thank you! But I am a little bit confused that:
>
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 19:05, Pierre-Antoine Champin
> <swlists-040405@champin.net <mailto:swlists-040405@champin.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/02/2011 10:33 AM, Jitao Yang wrote:
>     > Dear all,
>     >
>     > In [1], "the term "resource" is used in a general sense for whatever
>     > might be identified by a URI". Then is URI itself a resource or
>     not? > If a URI can be identified by another URI?
>
>     Well, anything you can talk about and identify can be considered a
>     resource. URIs are no exception. However...
>
>     > Such as: I have a webpage W-1,
>     > and I move to a new webpage W-2, whenever people click W-1, then
>     it will
>     > redirect to W-2 automatically. Therefore, can we consider W-1 as an
>     > identifier of W-2?
>
>     No... The fact that HTTP-GETting W-1 issues a 3xx Redirect to W-2 does
>     not by any mean allow you to infer that W-1 identifies the URI W-2 -- or
>     the resource identified by W-2, for that matter...
>

> from [1], the 303 response is "A URI", if we can not infer: "W-1
> identifies the URI W-2", then W-1 identifies what? And could you please
> give me an example on one identifier identifies another identifier?
> Thank you!

again, there is a difference between
* what you obtain when performing a HTTP GET on a URI, and
* the resource that is identified by that URI

For example, <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris> identifies a *french
city*, even if HTTP-GETting it issues a 303 redirect to another URI.

Similarly <http://www.w3.org/> identifies a web page (i.e. an
information resource that evolve in time, has a HTML *and* an XHTML
representation...), while HTTP-GETting it issues a string that is the
HTML serialization of a the current state of that resource, *not* the
resource itself.

  pa