Re: Blank nodes, leaning, and the OWA

Hi Pat,

You wrote...

But this is still dangerous, in general. It really turns on whether or not
you have a good reason to believe that your information is complete. If you
do, then the CWA makes sense; if not, it doesn't. Databases usually are
complete in this sense, for data that they record (which is why people make
them, of course.)  Random scraping of Web information is not usually
complete. A google search of my publications on the Web is probably an edge
case.

So, just hedge the answer a bit more, e.g.

*"Based on a possibly incomplete web search, it appears that Pat Hayes has
503 published papers as of 201103271208"*

This is easy to do in the executable English system [1], and in many other
systems.

The OWA alternative -- not being able to count -- seems to cripple Q/A over
RDF.  But perhaps there is a useful middle way?  Using local
circumscription, and making that part of the explanation of an answer?

                              Cheers,  -- Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL
and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

Adrian Walker
Reengineering