Re: Blank nodes, leaning, and the OWA

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

>  Also no *syntactic* rule that allows me to map
>
> <ex:a> <ex:p> _:x .
> _:y <ex:p> _:x .
>
> to <ex:a> <ex:p> _:x .  This looks like it should be some kind of syntactic
> reduction step, but I find nothing to justify elimination of the second
> clause except semantic considerations.
>

> It follows from the fact that a graph is defined to be a set of triples.
> The set {a, a} is the same as the set {a}.

P.S.  This is not syntax, it's semantics.  While {a,a} = {a} is true,
"{a,a}" = "{a}" is not.  By relying on the definition of set, the (implicit)
RDF abstract syntax mapping uses semantics to define a syntactic reduction.
 Compare lambda calculus; 2+3 is the same as 5, but you don't get that for
free; you have to perform a syntactic reduction by rule.  By the same token,
if you want to map

[1] <ex:foo ex:bar ex:baz>, <ex:foo, ex:bar, ex:baz>

to the abstract syntax <ex:foo ex:bar ex:baz>, you don't get to do it by
observing that a graph is a set; you have to have some explicit syntactic
rules allowing you to do it.  Otherwise it is not syntax.

-Gregg