Re: Indicating Skolem Nodes (was Re: AW: {Disarmed} Re: blank nodes (once again))

On 2011-03-26, at 03:27, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 18:10 +0000, Steve Harris wrote:

>>> So, is there a simple way we can flag them?   I know it's out of scope
>>> for the RDF WG to define one, but maybe there's a solution that's so
>>> simple everyone can just start doing it without a W3C process.
>>
>> Yes, 4store uses either:
>>
>> a) <bnode:b123456>, or
>> b) <_:b123456>
>>
>> neither is what I'd call legitimate though.
>>
>> a) is an unregistered URI scheme, b) is not syntactically legal (URIs can't start with _), but has the advantage that you can take Turtle-syntax results, and stick <>s round it, which feels somehow appropriate.
>>
>> These arose out of a pragmatic need to handle FOAF data found in the wild, which is riddled with bNodes.
>>
>> Of your strawmen below, I prefer 1, and would sugest bnode:. Being pragmatic about it, regardless of whether the URI scheme is official, if people like it, it will spread quickly. Like tag: infact.
>
> True.
>
> So, refined:
>
> Strawman 1:
>
> - new URI scheme, "bnode", followed by text that wont accidentally be
> shared.  Specifically, we refer to RFC 4122 and 4151, saying a bnode: is
> followed by either a urn:uuid: (without the "urn:uuid:") or a tag:
> (without the "tag:").  That lets you make it human readable if you want.
>
> Hm.
>
> I wouldn't object to this -- it's the cleanest engineering, I think --
> but I worry about not being able to dereference, so I still prefer the
> magic string approach.   I realize that's a bit of a hack, though.  But
> it's a hack that I think would work just fine ... so that makes it
> elegant, right?  :-)

I get where you're coming from, but I suspect that not being able to dereference is a good thing in some cases.

If it's a dereferencable URI then you win a load of moral(?) obligations to make them stable and persistent, which is some of the things you're might be trying to get away from when using bNodes.

I like the UUID prefix, gets round a lot of practical issues.

<bnode:3dff1ee0-783a-42f4-8d67-4381dd4dd83e:123456> can't be resolved, but you can use it in, for e.g.

http://sparql.example.com/data?graph=bnode%3A3dff1ee0-783a-42f4-8d67-4381dd4dd83e%3A123456

Ignoring for a moment the raft of exciting scope issues that raises :)

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK