Re: AW: {Disarmed} Re: blank nodes (once again)

On Mar 25, 2011, at 5:00 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:

> re
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:00:52AM +0000, Michael Schneider wrote:
>> since skolemization retains equisatisfiability. But skolemization does /not/
>> lead to logically equivalent graphs.
>
> I don't think this is of practical relevance. In logic skolemized statements
> are not logically equivalent to the original ones because you have introduced
> new symbols *in the whole system* and the truth of the original statement is
> independend of these symbols. If you look at statements and their skolemized
> versions as *different axiom systems* it should be possible to construct a
> model for the skolemized versions out of a model of the original versions
> and vice versa. the systems are somehow equivalent. I cannot substantiate that
> because I am not a logician.

You do OK :-)

The technical relationship is exactly preserving satisfiability, as you say here. If you skolemize S to get sk(S), then S does not entail sk(S) because they have different vocabulaires, but sk(S) is satisfiable if and only if S is: you can take any model of S and extend it to a model of sk(S), over the same universe and with all the old names still denoting what they did in the first model.

Pat