Re: {Disarmed} Re: blank nodes (once again)

FWIW, my recollection of the working group discussions followed a similar path:
that bNodes don't fundamentally add expressive power when making assertions
about the world.  I.e. that Skolemization achieves the same effect.  I think it
was mainly the convenience (maybe not for logicians!) argument that carried the day.

But I do recall some discussion also about the use of RDF expressions as
patterns, a kind of query, in which their logical interpretation might vary.  If
that viewpoint once had any merit, I suspect it has been rather overtaken by the
subsequent standardization of SPARQL.

I know that I find bNodes convenient when constructing RDF, but also I have
found them problematic when implementing inference machinery (by reason of
unclear intermediate scope boundaries).  One implemenation strategy I'd probably
use in future is to replace all bNodes internally by some form of unique
identifier (maybe a UUID URI), then map back to bNode when serializing a graph.

So, yes, it is then just a syntactic convenience.  But not one I'd necessarily
choose to forego.

#g