Re: Comments on "SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs"

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Friday 18. March 2011 22:45:33 David Booth wrote:
>> 2. Because this kind of ambiguity of reference is inescapable (though
>> the example is an extreme case), so we have no choice but to learn to
>> deal with it.
>
> So, what you're saying is "relax, whether it is an RDF Graph or an RDF
> Document is not important to specify, ambiguity is inescapable and can be
> useful"?
>
> I can see that point, and I appreciate the arguments that you make. However,
> it still seems that accepting this means accepting what webarch calls a URI
> Collision.
>
> Also, I very much appreciate Sandro's clean sheet terminology. This new
> terminology is unfortunately not currently available as normative reference,
> and for such a simple protocol as we currently discuss, I feel that we should
> be able to specify it clearly enough for all practical purposes without.
>
> There are two points that I feel has not been answered yet, and that's whether
> the apparent conflict that I think I see between the usages of RDF Document and
> RDF Graph are real, is the ambiguity real? And if so would a URI collision be
> acceptable?

well, it depends if you mean g-text, g-snap or g-box when you say "RDF
Graph" and "RDF Document"

If you mean:
RDF Graph = g-text, *and* RDF Document = g-box, *and* the RDF Document
never changes, that is to say the g-text is the one and only
representation of the g-box, then there is no URI collision.

In all other cases there is an ambiguity and a URI collision.

I won't speak to whether that's acceptable or not.

Best,

Nathan