Re: Comments on "SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs"

On 2011-03 -19, at 02:21, Nathan wrote:

> Here's another quick rewrite:
>
> David Booth wrote:
>> In a given graph g, a URI u can perfectly well (ambiguously) identify
>> something that is both a birth certificate and a red
>> lightbulb, provided that g has no disjointness or other such predicates
>> that would prevent it from being so.
>> You need to know what graph you are asking about, and what assertions it
>> contains, to answer the question.
>
> So perhaps the question being answered is, can we feasibly carry out a conversation where we refer to both a birth certificate and a red lightbulb by a single ambiguous name? using RDF?
>
> Possibly, but why even try?

Seeing that without having caught up on the thread,
No, I really do not want to go down that route, of trying that.
It is a fundamental architectural principle that a URI can be taken out of context
an needs no other context to figure out what it identifies.
So if I say for URI x  "x expires on 2015-01-01" I must be able to know
whether the lightbulb or the certificate expires.

We have a huge linked data infrastructure based in this
architecture which I do not want to start again.

Tim