Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

On 3/13/11 6:44 PM, Dieter Fensel wrote:
> Dear Kingsley,
>
> the context of my question is the following. The are of Ontologies had
> encountered
> a severe paradigm shift though LOD. In the old days you had plenty of
> design
> methodologies to develop Ontologies based on first principles from
> scratch
> (despite the fact that there was some verbal hand waving on reuse). Then
> Ontologies became populated by data. In the end it was always not really
> easy to explain what their difference was compared to a traditional data
> schema approach. Often it felt like in the tale of the The Emperor's
> New Clothes

Yes.

The problem (as I've experienced it) is that people weren't able to read
ontologies due to a dearth of tools.

Imagine this sequence:

1. Someone announces a new ontology for a discourse realm
2. Postulates about its virtues.

Problem (back in the day) is that you had raw RDF/XML (or some other
format) and no instance data on the ABox side.

> With LOD the data are suddenly the driving force. When published they are
> used to collect some ontological pieces here and there. It is
> obviously not
> a trivial task to select this pieces properly and it calls for new
> design guidelines
> to form these combined ontology snippets.
>
> What you propose is indeed somehow what I am looking for. However, your
> proposal is a bit procedural and not very much declarative and explicit.

Hmm..

I listed some steps instead of saying:

1. Go to the query UI and use it to perform faceted navigation over the
URIBurner or LOD data spaces
2. Go to the SPARQL endpoint and perform a SPARQL query.

You don't get more declarative than #2 :-)

> Probably
> I missed the fact that Yahoo failed but I still wonder, whether
> specific data repositories
> can be extracted, maintained, and made explicit. In this case, they
> would be data
> schema repositories. It would require some manual effort but it may
> not even
> be hard to figure out a business model for it around education and
> consultancy?

Once folks are able to stumble across an ontology, read it, and even
explore across the TBox and ABox dimensions, life gets much easier.
Training gets much easier, uptake gets much easier, and most of all:
value proposition articulation becomes easier on the part of the pitcher
and fun on the part of the pitch recipient (current and future customers).

Links:

1. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=79 --
saved Ontology search with a list of Ontology URIs

2. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/fct/facet.vsp?cmd=load&fsq_id=80 --
ditto with results filtered by Attributes

3.
http://uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fgoodrelations%2Fv1&p=12003&lp=12002&op=12001&prev=&gp=12003
-- GoodRelations with effect of TBox and ABox navigation re.
follow-your-nose pattern

4.
http://uriburner.com/PivotViewer/?url=http%3A%2F%2Furiburner.com%2Fc%2FDPXHL6%23%2524facet0%2524%3DreliesOn%26%2524view%2524%3D2
- VOAF

5.
http://uriburner.com/PivotViewer/edit.vsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Furiburner.com%2Fc%2FDPXHL6%23%2524facet0%2524%3DreliesOn%26%2524view%2524%3D2%26%24tab%24%3D0%26%24zoom%24%3D2
- SPARQL Query behind the PivotViewer page .

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen