Re: data schema / vocabulary / ontology / repositories

Dear Kingsley,

the context of my question is the following. The are of Ontologies
had encountered
a severe paradigm shift though LOD. In the old days you had plenty of design
methodologies to develop Ontologies based on first principles from scratch
(despite the fact that there was some verbal hand waving on reuse). Then
Ontologies became populated by data. In the end it was always not really
easy to explain what their difference was compared to a traditional data
schema approach. Often it felt like in the tale of the The Emperor's
New Clothes

With LOD the data are suddenly the driving force. When published they are
used to collect some ontological pieces here and there. It is obviously not
a trivial task to select this pieces properly and it calls for new
design guidelines
to form these combined ontology snippets.

What you propose is indeed somehow what I am looking for. However, your
proposal is a bit procedural and not very much declarative and
explicit. Probably
I missed the fact that Yahoo failed but I still wonder, whether
specific data repositories
can be extracted, maintained, and made explicit. In this case, they
would be data
schema repositories. It would require some manual effort but it may not even
be hard to figure out a business model for it around education and consultancy?

Many greetings,

Dieter

--
Dieter Fensel
Director STI Innsbruck, University of Innsbruck, Austria