Re: IRIs vs. URIs in SPARQL spec

Thanks Dave... so if
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#section-Graph-URIref says
that "RDF URI references are compatible withInternational Resource
Identifiers <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-xml-names11-20031105/#IRIs>as
defined by [XML Namespaces 1.1
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#ref-xml-names11>]", does
this mean that URI References do allow non-US-ASCII characters, so that
http://www.example.org/Montréal is a valid URI Reference but not a valid
URI? And that if "isURI is an alternate spelling for the isIRI
operator", as the SPARQL spec says, then the latter refers to URI
references and not to URIs?

thanks,

Bob