Re: Looking for the right RDF store(s)

From: Markus Krötzsch <markus.kroetzsch@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:42:36 +0000
To: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org
On 25/02/2011 09:31, Steve Harris wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> At the risk of being accused of self-publicity,

By all means, please do report on your own work here! I am aware of the
main RDF Stores, of course, but what I need is more background
information and the most current develpoments. A tool's maintainers are
the best source of this.

> I'm going to recommend Garlik's store, 4store.
> http://4store.org/
>
> It did well in the recent BSBM benchmark:
> http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/BerlinSPARQLBenchmark/results/V6/ - 2nd in import, 2nd in query, 1st in update performance.
>
> It's released under the GPL (v3), and supports clustering out of the box. It was used to run our financial services data backend for a large number of users, and some very demanding clients for several years before being released under the GPL, so it has a good track record for scalability and reliability.
>
> As a bonus the clustered code and non-clustered code is identical — a single machine install is just a cluster of one. This hopefully minimises the nasty shocks when scaling out to clusters.
>
> Now it's been released it has an active user community working on improvements, and providing help and support.
>
> The downside is that it does not support ranged datatype searches, or geographic searches. However, we are talking to a partner that is interested in sponsoring geographic query support.

This might be a problem. I will discuss the details off-list.

> It's a little off-topic, so feel free to contact me offlist if you want more specific information.

Thank you, I will.

Cheers

Markus

--
Dr. Markus Krötzsch
Oxford  University  Computing  Laboratory