Re: fact checking for semantic reasoners

From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:13:47 +0100
To: Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it>
Cc: semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>
Enrico

thank you-

I guess we are thinking of slightly differently about this, but
I agree with your suggestion that what I am aiming for is 'global
consistency'.

> *are the consistency checks in ontologies validated by supported evidence,
> or how?*
>
> I suppose I am thinking of  the situation where there reasoning spans many
> ontologies with  conflicting axioms

you see, new 'evidence' comes up all the time. not sure if ontologies (as
far as I know, as we know them today) are capable of being updated at the
frequency rate that new knowledge is generated/published

I suspect, if new evidence cannot be taken into account,
then the reasoning can be obsolete one minute from the next
(the argument overlaps the dynamic ontologies forum)

> You are now mixing pears and oranges,

oh no,  I am simply talking about the fruit, its another class level
altogether :-)

> would be nice to have a service as such
>

> we do.

a standanle web service that can 'fetch evidence for assertion x' on
wiki/dbpedia is what I am thinking of

pointers to existing services welcome

thanks