Re: fact checking for semantic reasoners

Enrico

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

I guess that your 'fact checking routines' are what normally are called
> ontologies.

Nope. An ontology is not a routine, to my knowledge (or at least, thats the
first time I hear this definition, can you please point me otherwise),
however it can referenced by a routine.

> The checking part would the consistency check of the available data with
> the ontologies themselves.

sure, so the consistency checking in ontologies - back to my question I
guess - are they done internally (internal consistency) or using
other resources on the web ? I suppose its easy to validate a fact
(as you note) based on an internal schema, its when this schema is compared
to different schemas that the consistency vacillates.
that's what I asked, let me rephrase

are the consistency checks in ontologies validated by supported evidence, or
how?

I suppose I am thinking of  the situation where there reasoning spans
many ontologies with  conflicting axioms

> Not to mention that it is impossible to check the consistency of all the
> available data in the semantic web with the ontologies.

it's called due diligence, we need to fact check everything all the time,
and we do it 'manually'.

 would be nice to have a service as such

you may heard that there is a concern that 'there is a lot of rubblish on
the internet', something hopefully can be done to increase the confidence in
web based information.

 'its impossible' is not how we got this far (on the web, same a in space)

...rather 'can do, must work out how to'

 prolly means I am not expecting a collaboration on this project with you or
your research group for the moment ... :-)   oh well, hopefully some other
time .....

cheers