Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW

On 8/17/11 10:20 PM, Alexander Johannesen wrote:
>> As for the mobile space, absolutely!
> I personally don't think the mobile space is any more or less
> interesting in the SemWeb debacle at all, or gives any special weight
> to it.

Here's why I give it special weight:

1. Form factor of phones and tablets
2. Focus -- the focus the attention of the user to very specific
intentions.

> It's all a mish-mash network of clients and servers that should
> enable those killer users, that's all, whether they use a phone,
> tablet, PC, or paper, or their fridge. I'm almost tempted to say that
> SemWeb technologies enables a better mobile environment instead.

 From a mobile device you can do the following:

1. Find things around you -- helps you make the best of your location
2. Short Annotations -- describe where you are or what your experience
was (you get some crappy service from a hotel or restaurant just make a
little annotation en route to full review later)
3. Smart Friending -- discover people around you e.g. conferences, and
persist your bonding via semantically enhanced pinging
4. Use QR Codes -- e.g. capture details of the presenter/speaker at a
session you attend (when we get conference organizers to print QR Codes
by default etc..).

> I can understand that things like Google Places on a tablet with 3G is
> almost a killer app, it's at least damn sexy, but it's still a far cry
> away from getting work done and earning money or even creating
> something cool.

Correct. Hence my comments above.

> Damn useful, but not essential, even if I'm out
> driving for good coffee (which is very hard to find around here).

We'll you can find coffee, beer, and much more [1] .

> For the SemWeb to have its killer application, we need to look at the
> old definition of "application" and go from there; to apply solutions
> to problems not easily solved without.

Yep. Another example is EMAIL spam as per my earlier post [2].

>   This baggage of "an app", as
> you say, often served in a directory on a file system is the problem,
> not "an application of systems thinking through software." In many
> ways, SemWeb*is*  service-oriented architecture, except not talked
> about in that way by business consultants.
>
> But you know what I think the "killer app" would be? Accurate data, or
> more to the point, ways of discovering and deduct more accurate data
> from the current imprecise and fuzzy data now available.

Serendipitous discovery of relevant things, with precision.

> The
> representation is completely irrelevant to the problem SemWeb tries to
> solve, and I'm often surprised as to how little AI and clever
> analytics there seem to be in our domain - there's this strong trust
> in data providers that drives me insane! - but then, maybe I'm reading
> the wrong blogs or subscribed to the wrong mailing-lists ...:)

No comment :-)

Links:

1. http://www.delicious.com/kidehen/iphone_linkeddata -- find stuff
around my current location
2. http://goo.gl/2Rqx1 -- using WebID (an application) Linked Data to
kill off SPAM via semantically enhanced mail filters
3. http://www.delicious.com/kidehen/linked_data_demo -- other demos
4.
http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/solving-real-problems-using-linked-data-1661535
--  solving real problems with Linked Data presentation (old presentation)
5. http://goo.gl/de5Q0 -- creating, deploying, and exploiting linked
data (another old presentation) .

--

Regards,