Re: Take 2: How To Do with deal with the Subjective Matter of Data Quality?

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:25:46 -0400
Cc: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, public-lod@w3.org, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net" <dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>
To: Deborah MacPherson <debmacp@gmail.com>

On Apr 7, 2011, at 7:45 PM, Deborah MacPherson wrote:

> I think data quality conforms to metrics and repeatable processes.

Now we're getting somewhere!  Certainly one key to dealing with "the subjective matter of data quality" is to start to make data quality issues more *objective*.  Everyone can have their own opinion about what constitutes quality, but in the Web of linked data those opinions should be documented, in the form of metadata on evaluation criteria, metrics, processes, etc. (PICS anyone?) associated with the data.  Even if there isn't agreement on what those criteria, etc. are, there would be a better basis for grappling with the disagreements.