Re: How To Do Deal with the Subjective Issue of Data Quality?

On 4/7/11 3:06 PM, Jiří Procházka wrote:
> Hi,
> I think the different aspects of data quality should be specified by
> parties who are interested in them, published using proper ontologies
> and new human terms, and the ambiguous term "data quality" be used less
> and less.

+1

And it shouldn't be used as a perennial distraction mechanism re. Linked
Data. There is no such thing as perfect data.

> You quite hit the nail on the head with the recognition of the
> aesthetic nature of the term.
>
> Individual campaigns like some 5-star schemes are not necessarily bad,
> if they recognize their specificity to a particular purpose.
> Although I prefer a certificate-compliance-like scheme to the star
> scheme which kind of supports the (false) notion of the objective data
> quality.
+1

Thus when dealing with data driven *anything* the following separation
of powers remain:

1. Data Presentation
2. Data Representation
3. Data Access Protocol
4. Data Query Language
5. Data Model
6. Actual Data accessible from a Location .

The separations above are sometimes overlooked in the context of many
Linked Data initiatives and demos. Inaccurate data at an Address doesn't
render applications, services, or demos scoped to points 1-5 (above)
useless. In fact, bad data can be very useful [1] :-)

Links:

1. http://jeffjonas.typepad.com/jeff_jonas/2006/12/it_turns_out_bo.html
-- It Turns Out Both Bad Data and a Teaspoon of Dirt May Be Good For You
(Jeff Jonas post) .

Kingsley

--

Regards,