Re: ANN: Visual Data Web + SemLens

On 4/7/11 9:42 AM, Steffen Lohmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we are happy to announce the launch of http://www.visualdataweb.org -
> a website that provides an overview of our past and current attempts
> to make the Data Web visually more experienceable. In particular, it
> lists some of the visual tools we developed along with screencasts and
> live demos accessing DBpedia.
>
> Besides the already known tools RelFinder and gFacet, the website
> presents SemLens for the first time, a new tool that supports the
> visual exploration of RDF data via scatter plots and semantic lenses.
> All three tools are implemented in the open source framework Adobe
> Flex and can be tried out online without local installation (only
> Flash player is needed). Have fun playing around with these visual
> tools and discover relationships, correlations, and dependencies that
> you have not been aware of before.
>
> Best
> Philipp & Steffen
>
> P.S.: Please note the tiny "DBpedia-meter" on the tool pages showing
> up-to-the-second status information on DBpedia endpoint availability.
> A red status means high endpoint traffic - in this case, you should
> better check back later, as many other people also access the DBpedia
> endpoint at the same time and the live demos work only very slow or
> not at all.
>
> P.P.S.: If you like this project and have related ideas, research
> results and/or developments, consider to submit your work to the
> workshop "Interaction and Visualization in the Data Web" (IVDW 2011)
> that we are organizing in conjunction with the conferences
> INFORMATIK2011, KI2011, and MATES 2011 in beautiful Berlin this year
> (note that parts of these events are in German). Please find more
> information about the IVDW 2011 workshop at:
> http://ivdw2011.visualdataweb.org

Steffen,

Very nice!

Quick question re. SemLens, do you not have a permalink feature?
Remember, you added this to RelFinder, its also very important here, in
short its always important.

Have you considered a Map control? For instance, I did the following
with your default demo settings:

1. Picked 'Liberal Democrats'
2. Selected the default class
3. Selected Longitude and Latitude as properties of interest
4. Got the Graph and Table views re. your analytics.

The Map control is a logical addition re. the workflow above :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO