Re: ANN: Topics, Tags and Ontologies - [was IPTC releases first draft of the rNews standard for embedding metadata in online news]

I agree that if you stay in your local world of tagging, and noone will ever
be inclined to try and link to other ontologies, then there is no chance of
a problem.  It may work in this situation. However, it seems odd to me that
you would go to the trouble of publishing this in a public standard notation
if you only cared about your closed world.

It really depends on what you mean by a tag.  Your ontology allows an
organization to be a tag and a person to be a tag.  What you really mean is
that you need a way to say that an article is in some way related to that
organization or person. You don't have to have a class called Tag to do
that, all you need is the property (I forget what you called it - maybe
isTaggedBy) to relate the article to the organization.

Given that anything at all can be used as a Tag, Tag has no more semantics
really, than owl:Thing.  An article can refer to just about anything.

One way to view a tag is that it is a topic. Something that an article is
about.   An organization is not a topic per se, nor is  a person.   Yet,
oddly, a person can also be the topic of a book (e.g a biography).  A topic
does not have blood pressure, a person does. A tag does not have blood
pressure either.  To do this "properly" gets messy, you have to distinguish
PersonAsTopic from Person which in most cases is unnecessary.

If you are 100% certain that no problems will ever arise if your ontology
infers that a tag has blood pressure, then you will not have any problems of
the sort that concern me.

I hope it works out for you.

Michael