Re: ANN: IPTC releases first draft of the rNews standard for embedding metadata in online news

I'm with Richard on this

rNews is a functional ontology, which means intended for a functional
purpose : tag news. In this context having Organization, Person and Location
subclasses of rnews:Tag makes perfect sense.
If you declare in your ontology ex:Person  owl:disjointWith rnews:Tag it
means that you don't want to tag news with your instances of ex:Person. So
what? That's what you want. I don't see any problem with that. I'm sure no
big problem would come from something like rnews:Person  rdfs:subClassOf
foaf:Person.
foaf:Person does not make any strong assumption on what a Person is, that's
why it's so easily reused. A rnews:Person is a foaf:Person who happens to be
used for tagging news. Certainly that will make some reasoners crash at some
point if they try to make consistent too many things at a time.
In a more restricted scope of FYN applications, it will be very useful. For
example I have a data base of people using foaf:Person I can scrap rNews to
populate it. I don't care if a rnews:Person is a Tag or not, but am happy to
identify a foaf:Person when I meet her in the news.

Interpret what makes sense to you, ignore the rest.

Best

Bernard

--
Bernard Vatant