xsd:duration (history) Re: Any objections against using xsd:anySimpleType or rdfs:Literal as the rdfs:range for OWL datatype properties?

  Hi Bob

I did the work that excluded xsd:duration.

The problem is the XML Schema group were under time pressure and had to
go to press before they had really finished.
An unresolved issue was to do with questions like how many days in a
month, or how many seconds in an hour?

These issues were addressed in XPath2 I think
http://www.w3.org/2007/xpath-datatypes
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/
Appendix C in particular
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#types-predefined

These documents post-date the RDF and OWL1 recs that are the source of
the exclusion.

OWL in particular requires that you can tell whether two literal values
are or are not the same.
The duration datatype available in 2004 did not have that property.

If these two duration  datatypes are not in OWL2, personally I would
regard that as a defect.

Jeremy