Re: RDF data handover and dereferenceable URIs

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Rahul Patil <rahulpatil12@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply David.
> The thing with PURL is that
> We are not sure if it will scale to millions of triples industry will be
> churning out.
> and also once we commit to PURL it needs to be around even if triples are at
> the final endpoint (e.g. with international standard endpoint)
> Is there a way to use PURL during the stages when endpoints are changing but
> switch to actual endpoint address (and hence the namespace) when they reach
> the final endpoint?

We have used purl.org by creating domain name of our own
(purl.obolibrary.org) and having it be a CNAME for purl.org.
In order to do this you need to communicate with the purl.org folks
and check if they don't mind configuring their apache setup to
recognize the virtual hot.

Do you have any reason to believe that purl.org won't scale? You might
discuss it with them to see what they thing.

The new version of purl was supposed to be designed to support
federation of purl servers. We're looking into this
(we=sharedname.org) but haven't had time to test the new server yet.

-Alan