Re: WordNet RDF

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:58:22 +0100
To: Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org, public-lod@w3.org
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:30:52 +0100
Ian Davis <lists@iandavis.com> wrote:

> This is based on the RDF conversion at
> http://semanticweb.cs.vu.nl/lod/wn30/
>
> How similar is your work to this version?

They're similar in that they're both based on Wordnet 3. There are some
key differences though:

1. The vu.nl version includes all of Wordnet. Mine is just the nouns.

2. The vu.nl version uses a SKOS-like modelling (though not SKOS):
"cat" for example has an rdf:type of something like "Noun". In mine,
"Cat" would have an rdf:type of rdfs:Class - i.e. I define each noun
as a class. I also include a parallel SKOS mapping of Wordnet 3 and
reference between them using rdfs:seeAlso/foaf:focus.

3. I define superclasses to group all reasonable interpretations of
English language words. e.g. a "Fool" superclass that is the union of
"Fool, as in incompetent person", "Fool, as in gullible person" and
"Fool, as in jester".

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>