Re: ANN: The Vehicle Sales Ontology - Cars, Bikes, Boats on the Web of Data - http://purl.org/vso/ns

Martin, you make good points.

In summary,

   1. VSO is not messy
   2. VSO is only far from common sense insofar as not assuming that a kayak
   is a boat is far from common sense.
   3. the main use of the ontology being search should be a critical factor
   in making ontology design choices hence:
      1. it is not useful to model all kinds of manual power (paddle,oar
      etc) explicitly, but it is important to have these kind of craft in the
      ontology if they are commonly rented.
      2. not assuming a kayak is a boat may cause minimal harm
      3. not assuming a kayak is a boat should be linked to a benefit to
      users?
      What is that benefit?

More comments below.

Michael

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> I agree with your trade-offs. However, just clarifying my point: The VSO
> does simply not say that a Kayak need to be considered a "boat". It does not
> make a kayak a non-boat. Such is IMO also following the principle of minimal
> ontological commitment.

This is a good principle, but I think it does not apply here. There is no
real world argument (that I am aware of) that says a kayak might not be a
boat, (nor for example that a brick might not be a physical object). The
main argument seems to be one of convenience for domains and ranges.

>  IMHO it is dangerous to stray far from common sense - it is too expensive
>>> in scaring users away by getting surprising and incorrect behavior in
>>> applications.
>>>
>> I assume you are not stating that the VSO is "far from common sense", are
> you?

This comment is not about VSO overall.   VSO is only far from common sense
insofar as not assuming that a kayak is a boat is far from common sense.   I
originally thought you were saying saying a kayak is *not *a boat -- which
is further from common sense than what VSO says.

>  IMHO catering too much to the whims of inference engines and making life
>>> easy for web developers often results in an unfortunate amount of messiness
>>> in an ontology.
>>>
>> I assume you are not stating that the VSO is "messy", are you?

No, this is a general remark about workarounds (e.g. to stay within OWL-DL)
which are rarely pretty -- even when the workarounds are very thoughtfully
designed and the need is clearly justified.

In the case of VSO, placing inferencing and domain/range convenience as a
high priority seemed to result in the [conceptual] workaround: "do not
assume that a kayak is a boat".  This is an omission, not  messy.

I know that having domains and ranges can be very useful for UI (by limiting
choices to only the sensible ones) -- so this may be an important design
decision.  However, it struck me that the problem with domains and ranges by
putting kayak under boat arose from [wrongly] assuming that a boat was
motorizable.

> Side note: The relevance of a strict class hierarchy for Web ontologies is,
> IMO, very much overrated in Semantic Web research. The top-level ontological
> distinctions are very important for reusing data (e.g. keeping book titles
> and book copies apart), but not for search.
> Who will search for things as generic as a "human-powered arm vehicle"? If
> you want to rent a kayak, you will search for kayaks and not any type of
> boat.
>
> So I would say that the subject of discussion - whether kayaks are always
> boats or not - it not a particularly important axiom.

This is an extremely important point: the ontology is mainly going to be
used for search in real business use, so VSO should be optimized for this
purpose.

Kayak rental is a significant business, in some places (e.g. Seattle,
Alaska, maybe Costa Rica and other tourist destinations). In the US it
generally costs more to rent a sea kayak than a car.  So it is important to
have this in your ontology. Paddle surfboards are also rented.

I agree that most people looking for a kayak will type "kayak".  However,
there is a risk that a user may browse under boat, not see kayak and not be
thinking about kayaks, hence not  search for it. Lost revenue.

I think we could all agree that IF there was no cost, then we would just put
kayak under boat and call it good.  The cost seems to be making domains and
ranges awkward for inference engines.

How is this cost linked to benefit to users?

Michael

Martin

--
Michael Uschold, PhD