Re: AW: ANN: LOD Cloud - Statistics and compliance with best practices

Hi Chris:

First, I think it is pretty funny that you list Denny's April's fool
dataset of creating triples for numbers as an acceptable part of the
cloud,

	http://ckan.net/package/linked-open-numbers
  (right next to WordNet)

The fundamental mistake of what you say is that linked open e-commerce
data is not "a dataset" but a wealth of smaller datasets. Asking me to
create CKAN entries for each store or business in the world that
provides GoodRelations data is as if Google was asking any site owner
in the world to register his or her site manually via CKAN.

That is 1990s style and does not have anything to do with a "Web" of
data.

> 1.Data items are accessible via dereferencable URIs (provding only
> access
> via SPARQL is not enough, as linked data browsers and search engines
> cannot
> work with SPARQL endpoints)

Is HTML + RDFa with hash fragments, available via HTTP GET
"dereferencable" for you? E.g.

    http://stores.bestbuy.com/10/

If yes, fine. If not - why? IMO, HTML with RDFa payload does not brake
any fundamental principles of the Web architecture.

> 2.The dataset sets at least 50 RDF links pointing at other datasets
> or at
> least one other dataset is setting 50 RDF links pointing at your
> dataset.

This is often hard to meet and seems like a very artificial
requirement to me.

First, many small datasets may be just 50 triples in total. Why should
a hairdresser in Kentucky, exposing its description in GoodRelations +
RDFa have 50 outbound links? What should this beauty store in CA
exposing 800 triples do to qualify as linked data?

http://www.plushbeautybar.com/services.html

Second, what kind of links to core LOD entities do you expect from
shop operators? For example, take

	http://semantic.eurobau.com/

That dataset contains some 30 million triples of construction-
materials information. Which links to dbPedia would you reasonably
expect? Is this Linked Data in your opinion or not? If not, why?

To be frank, I think the bubbles diagram fundamentally misses the
point in the sense that the power of linked data is in integrating a
huge amount of small, specific data sources, and not in linking a
manually maintained blend of ca. 100 monolithic datasets.

Integrating 100 datasets does not have anything to do with Web-scale
information integration. Note that Google estimated back in 2008 that
there were ca. 1 trillion URIs in their index alone. So what are 100
manually converted datasets in comparison to that?

Best

Martin