Re: overstock.com adds GoodRelations in RDFa to 900,000 item pages

Hi Paul:

On 07.10.2010, at 17:56, Paul Houle wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
> > wrote:
>     I've got mixed feelings about "snippets" vs "fully embeded
> RDFa".  For the most part I think systems that use snippets will be
> more maintainable,  but I've seen cases where fully embedded RDFa
> fits very well into a system and there may be cases where the size
> of the HTML can be reduced by using it -- and HTML size is a big
> deal in the real world where loading time matters and we're
> increasingly targeting mobile devices.

That is a common misconception - even very comprehensive RDFa in
snippet style has less than 1% impact on the uncompressed size of
typical HTML documents, see slide # 11 in

http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/goodrelations-semtech2010

The additional complexity of maintaining RDFa that is densely
interwoven with the content for rendering is usually not worth any of
the potential savings in page size, in particular since

- the redundancy will be partly compensated by HTTP compression
- the page loading time has also a fix part for DNS look-up etc., so
that a linear increase in page size will not linearly increase the

>     The RDFa issue that really bugs me is that a linked data URI can
> be read to signify a number of different things.  Consider,  for
> instance,
>
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Rainbow_Bridge_(Tokyo)

What you are describing is no RDFa-specific issue, afaik, because it
is fairly easy to define separate URIs for documents and non-documents
using the about attribute, e.g. with a hash.

The only RDFa-specific clash I see are hash URI references that may
mean different things from an HTML and from an RDFa perspective.

Martin

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen