Re: overstock.com adds GoodRelations in RDFa to 900,000 item pages

Hi Karl:

> Something which is really not cool in all these instance of
> GoodRelations is that they are not really taking the benefits of html
> +RDFa. They put an extra bag of empty divs and spans. That's kind of
> sad.
>
> They could directly use the HTML content model. It is just a
> templating thing.

I don't think it is sad; because using invisible div / span elements
nicely decouple the organization of the visual content from the
embedded data.

In fact, for non-trivial data structures, writing RDFa that reuses the
same characters for the rendering and for the data gets ugly and
complicated (using many "about" and "resource" attributes to link back
and forth).

The data redudancy / maintenance argument raised frequently is also no
real issue when we are talking of dynamically generated Web pages,
because two occurrences of the same placeholder will always get the
same correct content when processed by the template engine.

The full argument for using RDFa in what we call "snippet style" is
given here:

Hepp, Martin; García, Roberto; Radinger, Andreas: RDF2RDFa: Turning
RDF into Snippets for Copy-and-Paste, in: Poster and Demo Proceedings
of the 8th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2009),
Washington, DC, USA, October 25-29, 2009.

PDF: http://www.heppnetz.de/files/RDF2RDFa.pdf

As for the "real benefits" of RDFa: I think the reuse of content
argument is overrated. For me, the key advantage is that I can
transport RDF data as payload in any HTML markup, which means that
even malconfigured, badly maintained servers run by lay people can
serve such rich meta-data. Content negotitiation, linked data
publishing recipes etc are nice, but a vast majority of site owners is
running their site with minimal understanding and Web engineering
competence.

Martin