Re: How to pitch the semantic web (was: is there a Enquire/Semantic Desktop link?)

Acronym
=======

I have come up with the following acronym: S.E.M.A.N.T.I.C. to
describe what I see as the 8 big components of the Semantic Web.

The URI is the value proposition because Universality leads to
interop.  Interop will provide huge value to both end users and
businesses.  A good company will be able to capture some of that
value.

In each case I've added an early adopter.

The 8 Components of the SEMANTIC Web
=====================================

Social - MySpace

Entertainment - YouTube

Markets - Ebay

Access (inc. mobile access) - Microsoft

Nearby Services (geo / local etc.) - data.gov.uk

Trust - Verisign

Information Management - Google

Currencies - PayPal

Interop
=======

Two case studies to note cover more than one aspect, show the power of
interop.

- Facebook, a basic social solution with a basic trust system adds
more value then each individually.

- Zynga a basic social system with a basic entertainment system gets
you from 0 to 5 billion in 3 years

That's what you can do with some mild interop with 2-3 out of the 8 components.

The Sem Web has the potential to give us 8/8 if we all work together
to make great solutions in each field.  The good news is that we're
underway in each area.  I think it has started to happen, 2011 I see
the first demos springing up, and growing to a much more collaborative
effort going forward.

We need to specialize but also work together.  In this way, the Web
gets better, and everyone wins.