Re: Enquire - WWW - Semantic Desktop/PersonalDataWiki? do you agree?

On 11/22/10 2:01 PM, adasal wrote:
> On 22 November 2010 18:19, Stephen Williams <sdw@lig.net <mailto:sdw@lig.net>> wrote:
>
>     Getting the enabling technology and paradigms right is a prerequisite for such a solution, but they are not sufficient.
>      Jumping beyond our current plateau is going to take more than the simple application veneer that were enough for most
>     generations of solutions.  Too many people are constrained to thinking in the language of existing software elements.  This
>     shows even with techies by the slow adoption of triplestores / SPARQL / et al vs. RDBMS systems, which are clearly deficient.
>

> They are not in the least obviously deficient. They are extremely efficient and timely in what they deliver. Triple store returns
> results in slow motion compared to RDBS. Look at the Berlin benchmarks.

Not all applications are performance intensive.  Sometimes, the worst bottlenecks are development, evolution, flexibility, and
maintenance.  RDBMS is a poor model for many things, with current applications force fitting models into it.  In the March Berlin
benchmark [1], if you look at the D2R SPARQL->RDBMS mapping, you can see one solution to having an efficient SPARQL database.  It's
not the model that is bad, it is the naive implementation.  We are certainly going to find multiple solutions to data clustering
that will provide high performance.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the market moved from hierarchical databases to
relational even though there was a performance loss.

> Notice what project inspired those benchmarks.
> Where is this plateau I am jumping beyond? I'm not sure I have reached it yet.
> This is the language of a convinced evangelist. But it isn't a convincing rational argument.
>
> Adam
[1] http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/BerlinSPARQLBenchmark/results/index.html

Stephen
--