Re: Enquire - WWW - Semantic Desktop/PersonalDataWiki? do you agree?

Thanks for the reply.
No we didn't drink wine together. A virtual confusion. But my memory (no
knowledge base!) was that you were somewhere drinking wine. I was just
feeling thirsty.
I will look up the list for some of the companies I don't know. They often
have interesting blogs and so.
I understand what you are saying.
The business is of data aggregation and re-purposing.
But everyone (company in this arena) wants to be some sort of funnel.
They believe that there is money to be made here by having sufficient size.
They also believe that the task is difficult and that it requires expensive,
time consuming work.
There are other factors such as if the company has some sort of purchase
hold on customers' attention span.
It remains to be seen whether there is much room for many other players - I
suppose in some way there always will be because the means by which
information can be fanned out are pretty near infinite and there is always
some appeal in trying a new pattern.

Philosophically, not just pragmatically, you can see how different what I
find myself involved in (more LOD I suppose than Web 3) is to a 'personal'
web.
Here we are talking about an engine driving the data re-purposing, while the
personal web seems to promise immediate human agency and human monitoring.
The personal web appeals to me because I see large scale data hoses as
avenues of depersonalisation and manipulation - I would say, at my most
craggy, unavoidably so.
Can a personal web be any better. Bearing in mind that it will strongly
interact with those hoses, I am unsure.

On the pragmatic side of things LOD and Web 3 are difficult to achieve.
Along with technical non-understanding of Web 3, there are also formidable
technical difficulties as SPARQL is not performant compared to SQL (going by
the Berlin benchmarks).
This shop, where I am, is just going the straight forward ORM way.
Technically, I don't know that I see ETLs as useless, but I do think it is a
lot of work. I haven't reached a conclusion on the benefits of replacing
that with a 'lift' mechanism and model in RDF, although it seem viable there
are still difficulties, not least, performance. Of course one obstacle is in
my lack of understanding - SPARQL better now than a few days ago, but by no
means complete.

More generally, perhaps there is a reason for companies not to adopt more
semantic technologies in that they may not want users have that degree of
control over their online interaction with their service? A thought, anyway.
I don't think companies care about complexity necessarily, they just care
about perceived benefit.
Mapping one graph into another can be complex, but the tools seem to be
there.
The web is a publishing/communication medium.
TV has program makers, documentaries, drama and also advertisers. Each, in
their own way are interested in reaching a pact with the viewer which
involves some manipulation.
I am not an evangelist for web3 because I think we need to be able to take
into account the fiction of the web as well.
More than anything, larger players are interested in that fiction.

Adam