Re: Possible Idea For a Sem Web Based Game?

Melvin,

The field of Sem Web Based Games sounds like an excellent avenue to help expand the mainstream interest for and mainstream application of semantic web technologies and linked data.

A quick Google search yields a surprising number of publications on games with a purpose and games for the sake of games, i.e. entertainment.

The Games with a purpose category is off course for now the most exciting, because it opens avenues for educational tools, where real world problem solving, simulation, adventure games with educational value, explorer games etc. open up endless possibilities.

With Google recently adopting the GoodRelations e-commerce ontology the next logical steps are as I mentioned in my email reply to Martin Hepp audiovisual content (Youtube! the obvious driver for this), open access repositories of academic content and publications, and social networking.

Your email reminded me of the fact that the most exciting and in terms of usage in audiovisual content next to video (clips) is games.

The use of games goes even beyond that for a purpose or entertainment, hundreds of thousands of sites worldwide use games where real life prizes can be won to attract web users, such a category being travel and tourism web sites.

I propose the W3C seriously consider games with a purpose as a useful tool to further the use of the semantic web and linked data technologies and do so using the open access, open source software, open licensing approach.

There are many technical aspects to designing games, but most of the software technologies already exist to enhance the current non-linked-data games to create games with a purpose based on the semantic web /linked data.

I propose a wiki to do just this and get this exciting new category off the ground.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
PO Box
 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development

--- On Sat, 11/20/10, Melvin Carvalho