Re: Possible Idea For a Sem Web Based Game?

On 21 November 2010 03:06, mike amundsen <mamund@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Melvin:
>
> I'd very much like to work on a shared ontology. And yes, changing the
> data to include real places has come up w/ some other folks who have
> implemented test clients for this server.

Great!  I think toby's is a very good start.

> I've also worked out that basics of additional features (not exposed
> in this public version) including:
> - objects that can be found in each room
> - "treasure" that can be accumulated

Very nice.  For richer games that would be ideal.

> Some additional items that are on my "drawing board" but are not yet
> working well are:
> - "monsters" that require "battle" (using objects|tool already acquired)

There was some modeling of this here:

http://goonmill.org/2007/

> - "purchase" of supplies, objects, etc. (using the treasure already accumulated)

I'm interested in digital economies.  This is an area I would like to
help build to Web Scale.

> Of course, moving away from 2D is also an important step. I have built
> maps that include the four simple map directions + up & down, but have
> not yet completed an engine that randomly generates these "cubes."

Rendering engines is a whole realm in itself.  Would be great to build
up a number of clients based on a generic data model.

> Finally, I also have some state-handling built-into the server
> including "life" values and other variables that are tracked to
> individual players, etc.

We may be able to use SPARQL Update to add items to a persona (WebID)
... tracking items is an interesting problem to solve, maybe a game in
itself!

> Many pieces lying about, quite a bit of assembly required at this
> point<g>. This has been sitting dormant for a few months and I am
> looking forward to picking it back up again.
>
> Let me know how I can contribute and I'd be happy to so what I can.

Sounds good!  I think if we start of simple, and make a few simple
linked games, we can iterate richer versions, if people are
interested.

>>> http://amundsen.com/blog/
>>> http://twitter.com@mamund