Re: Possible Idea For a Sem Web Based Game?

On 21 November 2010 00:43, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:13:31 +0000
> Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to mock-up an interface - perhaps tonight!
>
> Here are a few test nodes:
>
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/test-nodes/london
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/test-nodes/birmingham
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/test-nodes/brighton
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/test-nodes/hove
>
> The vocab they use is:
>
> http://purl.org/NET/game#
>
> I've put together a little web-based client you can use to "play" the
> game here:
>
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/client/?Node=http%3A%2F%2Fbuzzword.org.uk%2F2010%2Fgame%2Ftest-nodes%2Flondon

wow, very cool! :)

> Source code is here:
>
> http://buzzword.org.uk/2010/game/client/source-code
>
> As you should be able to see from the source, while the four test nodes
> only link to each other, they could theoretically link to nodes
> elsewhere on the Web, and the client would follow the links happily.
>
> Melvster wrote:
>
>> However most book based text games will have a description added to
>> each link, rather than simply directions to travel.
>
> The way I've written this client, the nodes themselves can extend the
> pre-defined link directions:
>
>        <#node1> <#hide-under-rug> <#node2> .
>
>        <#hide-under-rug>
>                rdfs:label "hide under the rug" ;
>                rdfs:subPropertyOf game:exit .
>
> The client will notice you've defined a custom direction, and offer it
> as an option.

Ah great, so you have a number of predicates, one for each 'action'.

> One possible addition, that would go way beyond what the CYOA books
> could offer would be for the client to have a stateful store. So when
> you entered a room, there could be a list of room contents which you
> could collect into your store. The objects that you've collected could
> then influence the progress of the game. Probably need to think a bit
> more about how this should work.

That sounds like a logical next step.  Your game character can be
completely virtual or linked to a foaf : Person.  It may be possible
to have an agent that acts as a 'dungeon master', which has the
ability to say, pick up an #item and put it in your inventory when you
issue a command in the right room, for an object that is free.  Then
when selecting an action in a room, it can check the rules to see if
that's possible give your current inventory.

I've been talking to someone interested in porting a few simple games
to linked data, so we'll see if we can put together some small game
worlds, and maybe adding a few puzzles.

Maybe you can even get XBOX style "Achievements" for completing
certain levels in different adventures!