Re: Enquire - WWW - Semantic Desktop/PersonalDataWiki? do you agree?

Leo,

I go through the excitement/trouble of explaining and pitching semantic web
in general to VCs, angels, entrepreneurs almost on a weekly basis. Few
things I have learned from 4 years of actively doing this (from an american
perspective... I don't know how it is in europe):

- Never ever use "semantic web" in your introduction. It is a red flag and
people will not take you seriously. (sad but true... I've had people laugh
in my face)
- explain what is the problem that "semantic web" is solving. Saying
"linking data" doesn't mean anything. What does "adding semantics" mean? I
usually say" try to FIND for football players who went to UT Austin and have
played for the Dallas Cowboys as cornerbacks". People will realize that they
can't use google to do this. Then if I have a laptop, I'll show them faceted
browsing on top of DBpedia and how I can get that answer. Now people are
paying attention. It wasn't possible to do this in 2006 :)
- I've got the semantic web pitch down in two areas
   1) Using "semantic tags" you can become more visible on google, yahoo..
SEO and stuff ---> use RDFa
   2) If you have several databases and would like to make queries on them
at the same time  ---> using RDB2RDF for data integration

Remember that investors hear pitches all the time. You need to stand out. Be
unique. and do that in less than 2 min! So be short and concrete. Go
straight to the point. Tell them something they didn't know. Some
interesting statistic... and if it involves them, even better. You want them
to leave the room remembering you and in case somebody asked them the next
day about their pitch, they are able to summarize it in one sentence. What
is that sentence? If you don't know what that sentence is.. then you don't
have a pitch yet.

As timeline during the pitch, if you don't grab the attention of your
audience in the first 30sec - 1min, you lost. So be able to explain what the
problem is, and what is your solution. Depending on the investors (west cost
USA), all they care is if you can get a lot of people to use your solution
and don't really care if you can make money initially. The idea is always
that if you have millions of people using your solution, someday you will
figure out how to make money (twitter). Other investors will care about how
you are going to make money (enterprise investors). So be explicit with you
competitive advantage. What makes you different and unique. Why can't other
do what you are doing. It could be because you have the best team, you
patented the technology, or discovered a new market.

sorry if I went too much off topic.

Good luck! keep us posted with your venture.

Juan Sequeda
+1-575-SEQ-UEDA
www.juansequeda.com