Datatype normalization

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:33:12 +0000
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi All,

I'd suggest that a high percentage of the worlds RDF data is being
published untyped, where plain literals are used as rather than typed
literals "12.2" vs "12.2"^^xsd:decimal, and also (to a lesser extent)
"strings as"^^xsd:string's.

Until today, I had assumed that it was pretty "safe" to, upon parsing,
turn xsd:strings in to plain literals / pull the datatype from the range
of a property and turn the object in to the correct type.

However, it's been suggested to me today that this probably isn't a good
thing / "the right thing" to do.

And thus, should I be avoiding implementing this feature, and
additionally what are the reasons *not* to do this.

An example:

  Ontology contains..
    ex:prop rdfs:range xsd:decimal .

  "data" contains..
    :foo ex:prop "12.2" .

What reason would there be not to just infer/pull the type and convert
to a typed literal?

Best,

Nathan

seeAlso: